1. To do Muraqabah you have to put everything off, no light completely.
2. That is a way for disconnecting yourself from anything else.
3. Choose a part of the house where not a single light can come in from outside.
4. You imagine yourself as if you are in the grave and this is the last moment before entering the grave, form the dunya, how you feel, you are so in need of help, for anyone that can help you.
o So if you direct our heart at that moment to the most nearest to us, and that is our Shaykh, and most nearest to the Prophet (s), and that is our Shaykh, and we have to remember at that time the ayah of the Qur’an which mentioned Sayyidina Musa:
o Ith raa naaran faqaala liahlihi omkuthoo innee aanastu naaran la`allee aateekum minhaa biqabasin aw ajidu `alaa annaari huda - “Behold, he saw a fire: So he said to his family, ‘Tarry ye; I perceive a fire; perhaps I can bring you some burning brand therefrom, or find some guidance at the fire.’|" [20:10] …
o I saw, and I found a familiarity (innee aanastu naaran) with something glowing there,
o I am going to go and see what is that kind of fire what is that fire.
o I will go there, [because he was traveling] and I might be able to get for you a piece of it that can illuminate for us the way or find by light of that fire a guidance.
o It means he was asking―[as] the fire represents energy―he was asking to send that energy that is existing there, and Allah expressed in the holy Qur’an that there is such energy there, and with that energy I felt familiarity, It means I felt as if it is possessing me and overtaking me and I have to go there, and get it to guide myself and guide you.
o Then it continues, Falammaa ataahaa noodiya yaa moosaa Innee anaa rabbuka fikhla` na`layka innaka bilwaadi almuqaddasi tuwaa. “But when he came to the fire, a voice was heard: "O Moses! "Verily I am thy Lord! therefore (in My presence) put off thy shoes: thou art in the sacred valley Tuwa.” [20:11-12]
o When he reached that energy that was giving him a peace of mind and the feeling he could get something for his people and guiding them, he came forward towards that fire.
o When he reached, Allah said, “Take off your shoes.” That means take off anything that relates to this life.
o At that time shoes were made from donkey leather, so they represent something, take off your ignorance. Take your ignorance out of you, come without ignorance and without ego to me.
o You are in the holy valley now, you have reached thru that holy fire, that energy that I dressed, you have reached that holy place, innaka bilwaadi almuqaddasi tuwaa, wa anaa ikhtartuka fastami` limaa yoohaa. "I have chosen thee: listen, then, to the inspiration (sent to thee).” [20:13] Listen then to what is going to be revealed to you.
So When he entered into that Muraqabah, that he was looking for something that might give him, he and his family and his people, guidance or warmth (fire is warm), he was trying to get some wood to warm us up, and to get something to eat. He was directing and focusing his complete body towards that energy, that was coming from there as a fire. So when he directed himself, Allah guided him. At that time take your ignorance away, when he disconnected himself, Allah said, “Listen to what is going to be revealed to you.”
5. At that moment when you, thru your complete un-illuminated symbolic darkness that you have created for yourself, you have to come out of it to reach that positive energy that will enlighten for you and guide you thru that positive energy to that holy land, holy valley which is the Divine Presence in order that you will be able to receive inspirations that can heal and can breast feed those who are needy for such kind of knowledge.
o So this will teach us that we are in need to do some very intensive progressive physical work thru meditation, meditation is not only spiritual work, but it combines physical and spiritual work.
o Because you are trying to control your body from being connected or being involved in this dunya.
o So you are trying to bring the body into the circle of the spirit and bring it into the energy of that holy guidance.
o And then you will be able at that time―and now that you are there―listen to what is being inspired. You will be able to receive there what will be of help to those around you.
o And for everyone you will receive different instructions to heal him is he is spiritually sick or physically sick.
To begin with that you have to create an environment that fits these descriptions.
Now with what he is telling you and explaining it needs also to create a physical environment like the environment that was created for Sayyidina Musa (as), and the same environment that the Prophet Muhammad (s) used in ghari hira. That complete dark.
6. No light - meaning physical light, not spiritual light.
7. So that physical environment has to be [re-]created. The best for that to be created is a complete dark room that no light can enter. If not able to find something like that,
o then you go to lowest level, to cover yourself with a blanket that allows no light to come in. this is one of the first steps that makes you be able to achieve, first step in Muraqabah, and that later thru the stages have been explained before, how to follow them which are given are details and you will be achieving a physical and spiritual healing.
When you see that some people have a physical hearing, because they went thru a different way of meditation that they learned in their philosophy. Allah is Merciful and gives them something: Wa sakhara lakum maa fee al-samaawaati wa maa fee al-ardi jamee`an minhu - “And He has subjected to you, as from Him, all that is in the heavens and on earth” [45:13]. They are given [authority] in dunya, but not authority on heavens.
[That is] only for mu’mins and Muslims That is for believers, then they can heal those around them physically and spiritually.
All these different philosophies are all struggle against the self. But Allah will not give them as he gave awliya. Still what they are doing gave them is very minimum production – it is the lowest level they can achieve and they cannot achieve more than that.
Thru Islam they can achieve higher than that. Although they might say we became Muslim, but they aren’t following the steps that they showed us, awliyaullah to …
So you have to create an environment and you have to sit, you have to put in front of you in that room, if you are not covering yourself, you have to
8. put an oil lamp. Or put a candle. Not a plain candle, but is preferred a nice smell[ing] candle.
9. And every fragrance has a level of attaining a higher spirituality and higher knowledge. Not all smells are of the same type. That is why when awliya pass people, they say, “We smell a nice smell in that room.” Every wali has a different fragrance. And they took that thru the awliyaullah, that secret of wilaya has been thrown in the hands of western people, that is the aromatherapy they took it from awliya aroma therapy that is instead of sweat coming from them, fragrance comes from them perfume comes out from their body because they are in that passion or love for Allah, `ishq, that creates for them that smell.
10. So we have to put a candle that gives us a smell according to what the Shaykh prescribed a different smell. Not everyone will be same smell.
Z But the first level, beginning level is the same, and then after that as one goes to a different level of spirituality different smell.
Z Every smell will attract a different level of spirituality.
Z And at each level of spirituality there is a different wali sitting with the key tot hat station.
Z And at every level they are under sultan awliya and he is facing the gold brick which is the Prophet (s), as described by awliyaullah.
Z So that … candle in front of you is symbolizing the energy that Sayyidina Musa (as) saw, and when you are sitting there, they are smelling that smell and we will say later what smell Mawlana wants you to use, and
11. Directing to qibla and that light is lighted. And you now imagine yourself that you are reaching that holy valley, al-waadi al-muqadassa tuwa – in the last moment, the last days of your life.
12. When you are in your last days you are passing towards akhira, you are concentrating all you feelings for Allah to forgive you.. With all the concentration that you seek Allah’s forgiveness. When you are in that position of| the last breath, last time, last moment with You, and forgive me and you come with the Prophet’s recitation of the du`a for the blind man.
13. With that du`a you connect your heart, by that nice smell that is coming, you focus your vision on that flame, on that light that is coming there.
14. You open your eyes focus and everything else is dark, only that light there and you are looking at that light very clearly on that light for 5 minutes.
15. You focus with no movement for 5 minutes.
16. Then close your eyes 5 minutes, reflecting the image of your Shaykh connecting with
17. Mawlana Shaykh Nazim for 5 minutes and then imagining that he is connecting you to the heart of the Prophet (s).
18. So after period of five minutes you estimate not looking at watch. You open your eyes looking at the flame, and then imagine you are in the presence of the
19. Prophet (s). 5 minutes, as if holding hands of your Shaykh and coming into his presence.
20. 5 minutes there and then open your eyes, And then as if the Prophet (s) guiding, guiding your Shaykh to that holy valley and waiting for inspiration to come to your heart. It is a total of 15 minutes.
Now from the first time you might not reach to hear anything, but if you do that daily without interruption for 40 days, with no interruption - if there is interruption you have to do another 40. Then you will be able to receive some kind of inspiration thru your heart and you will be day by day, as you are doing that, finding yourself more and more able to visualize the Shaykh there and you can see him as if he is in front of you, but with your eyes closed.
Then later you will be able to feel the presence of Prophet (s) is there, you cannot see the Prophet (s) but you fell his presence, then you can feel the Divine Presence is there.
As you are moving slowly that will increase, that will increase, that will increase. You might increase quickly if you try to do it hard and try to increase the time, five minutes, five minutes, five minutes, then another five minutes, for half an hour, some for half an hour, some for an hour it is up to you.
During that if you are connecting with Mawlana Shaykh you have to recite, when connecting with Mawlana Shaykh saying istighfaar, “Istaghfirullah” for two minutes and a half. Then you call on your Shaykh “Ya Sayyidi, Ya Sayyidi, ya Sayyidi.” Then when done 5 minutes, then you call on presence of the Prophet (s), “Ya Rasulullah, Ya Sayyid, Ya Saahib, Ya Siddiq, Ya Rasul, Ya Allah!” You can recite that all at one time when you are in the presence of the Prophet (s) or you can make salawat on the Prophet (s).
21. Then when you reach the last stage you must say, “Ya Allah.” But with each word you must meditate on it. “Ya Sayyid,” you are with the Shaykh;
22. “Ya Sahib,” you are with Sayyidina Mahdi;
23. “Ya Siddiq,” you are with Sayyidina Abu Bakr;
24. “Ya Rasul,” as if you are with Prophet (s);
25. “Ya Allah,” as if you are walking towards Him, walking into the Divine Presence with they help of the Prophet (s) and your Shaykh.
26. Imagine you are walking and day by day as if you are walking into the Divine Presence with the help of the Prophet (s) and your Shaykh.
That is the 1st step you can do to achieve more physical and spiritual power. After that there are some of the physical healing exercises and spiritual healing exercises. But Mawlana Shaykh said that is the important step to be followed up. And insha-Allah if you are successful in that then you can go to the next stage.
That is first step,
second steps we will come to later, how to use these energies, but you need that step to get the energy.
Although you can release from the feet. But only for back case you can use the feet, [for] back problems. Especially those who are in the lineage of the Prophet (s) they can heal people if they have a backache, or a back problem, with their feet, to teach them that.
Other than that [back] sickness, [healing] is by hand.
And to do that there are certain position of the fingers, how to touch and how to feel, how to open the hands this way and that way, how to put them together and how to manage to release and to concentrate energy on where people have problems. Insha-Allah let them begin to do this for 40 days. Don’t miss one day.